The Körner’s Folly Foundation, a 501 c 3 nonprofit organization, is seeking an Executive Director to carry out our mission to foster an appreciation for history, the arts, and enterprise through the preservation and interpretation of historic Körner’s Folly.
The Executive Director leads and directs the daily operations of the historic house museum and works to ensure the sustainability of the organization. Main responsibilities would be tied to oversight, strategic planning, developing relations with the Board of Directors, and specifically: administration, fundraising, financial management, marketing, and Körner’s Folly restoration. The Executive Director will work to oversee and establish the new $2+ million Visitors Center; construction is expected to begin in 2023.
The Executive Director reports to the Korner’s Folly Foundation Board of Directors. For purposes of compliance with the FLSA the Executive Director is exempt based upon the executive exemption.
Examples of work include but are not exclusive to following list:
• Administration & Operations: Reviews and evaluates Operations and Programs Manager, and Visitor Services staff. Helps staff troubleshoot problems. Works with the Board of Directors and Operations & Programs Manager to create policies, procedures, and best practices.
• Finance: Writes annual budget with finance committee, approves expenditures and ensures adherence to annual budget, prepares financial reports for Board or grants.
• Fundraising: Oversees all fundraising efforts including annual membership drive, Oktoberfest fundraiser, and Capital Campaign; writes and manages all grants and grant reports.
• Marketing: Provides strategic direction on marketing campaigns. Ensures adherence to branding and graphic standards. Maintains and creates strategic partnerships with Visit Winston-Salem, Kernersville Chamber of Commerce, Visit NC, Association of Visitor Attractions, and other tourism partners. Serves as spokesperson and media liaison. Approves marketing content, print and digital, by Operations & Programs Manager and Marketing Committee.
• Board Support: Plans and writes committee and board agendas in conjunction with Executive Committee, prepares reports for board. Board member recruitment and training, attends monthly Executive Committee meetings, monthly full Board of Directors meetings, and other board committee meetings as appropriate.
• Restoration: Researches historical interpretation and material culture for each restoration project. Maintains interpretive guidelines per the National Register Acts as project manager for all restoration projects – coordinates contractors and schedules, gets quotes, ensures quality of work, and develops project timelines.
• Visitor Center: Oversees and coordinates Capital Campaign solicitations, works with architect and Town of Kernersville, oversees construction and outfitting.
• Leadership and Strategy: Works with Operations & Programs Manager to carry out strategic planning objectives, maintains and creates new relationships with organizations, foundations, and community partners to ensure long-term sustainability of organization.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities include knowledge of historical topics related to Victorian history and the ability to apply them in an engaging way to the visiting public. The ability to connect with stakeholders, potential funders, and community groups to foster the support and appreciation of the Körner’s Folly mission.
Working conditions include moderate exposure to dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, and unpleasant but not hazardous odors. Occasional exposure to risks controlled by the use of safety precautions. Physical exertion includes exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. This is seen during special event set-up. The worker is required to have close visual acuity, preparing and analyzing data and figures, accounting, transcription, computer terminal, extensive reading, visual inspection of small defects or parts, operation or inspection of machines.
The Executive Director is considered exempt under the executive duties test for purposes of FLSA compliance. The position has overall responsibility for managing the organization, supervises the work of equivalent of two or more subordinate employees, and exercises significant personnel authority with discretion and judgment.
Excellent organization, time management, public speaking, and writing skills
Strong understanding and achievement in museum and/or non-profit management
Experience in organizational financial management
Strong administrative skills to include experience managing budgets; knowledge of Quickbooks or other financial management software a plus; familiarity with Little Green Light software a plus
Strong writing and editing skills
Experience in educational programming for all ages
Experience in planning and executing events
Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Experience with social media management and WordPress websites
Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
Ability to inspire, lead, and manage staff and volunteers
Ability to develop and implement long-range plans
Ability to work under pressure and work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Preferred
5+ Years Related Experience
Formal education and/or experience are expected in fields such as history, museum studies, nonprofit administration, historic preservation, cultural heritage, heritage tourism, or arts administration
Valid Driver’s License
Hiring Range: $50,000 – $60,000 annually, plus $4,000 annual benefits stipend.
The Körner’s Folly Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and responses to the application questions to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 9, 2023.
Anonymous site visits encouraged.
To download the full job description and application assignment, click the link below.
Executive Director Application Assignment
Thank you for your interest in the Executive Director position at The Körner’s Folly Foundation. Because this position requires a range of creative and visionary tasks, we feel we can’t get the best sense of your abilities and creativity through a letter and a resume alone. To be considered for an interview, please answer the 5 questions below in three pages, maximum.
- What interests and excites you about the position of Executive Director of Körner’s Folly?
- Since 2018, the Körner’s Folly Foundation have been raising funds to build a new Visitors Center. To date, the Foundation has raised over $2 million toward this Capital project, and construction is slated to begin in early 2023. As the incoming Executive Director, please list the questions you would ask to develop a day-to-day operations plan for this new building.
- Tell us about your leadership style. How do you see the role of the Executive Director working with the Board of Directors? Working with other staff members? Working with volunteers?
- Getting the job done may require unusual persistence or dedication to results, especially when faced with obstacles or distraction. Give an example of a time when you were able to be persistent in order to reach your goal.
- Briefly summarize your experience with a historic house, historic site, or historic property.